Stay tuned for announcements on upcoming events in Fall 2018!
PAST SBFA EVENTS
May 18, 2018
- SBFA holds a Faculty Association luncheon to hear from members about current and future concerns and possible solutions. Topics included: Irvine Chancellor Howard Gillman’s upcoming visit to UCSB and doubts about the lack of faculty involvement in the new center for free speech and civic engagement; better outreach to faculty, who are often unclear about the relation of Faculty Association and Academic Senate; what could or should FA do about gender bias in teaching evaluations—FA could work with Academic Senate, the Sociology Department, and others studying the impacts on promotion and pay; what’s happening now that the $48 Fix is the $66 Fix?; faculty housing crisis as a microcosm of greater housing crisis.
May 7, 8, 9, 2018
- SBFA supports the AFSCME Local 3299 strike by preparing a Faculty Strike Assistance Google doc where faculty could find all necessary information on the strike and sign up to bring striking workers to visit their class for a short presentation.
- UCSB became the first campus to welcome a “scholar at risk,” Dr. Hassan Almohammed, a young scholar from Syria who holds a Ph.D. in French contemporary poetry. Sentenced to death in absentia after defecting because of the abuse he received during his compulsory military service, he fled to France where he was an active member of the Syrian opposition to the Assad regime and published articles about the killing of his academic colleagues by Syrian forces. SBFA’s Claudio Fogu, who spearheaded UCSB’s involvement in SAR, issued a successful call for housing and financial support. Dr. Hassan Almohammed subsequently received an offer from Brandeis University, where he is currently teaching.
November 29, 2017
- SBFA supported the grad student walkout and National Rally to Save Higher Ed to protest changes in the tax bill that would devastate graduate education by reclassifying tuition waivers as taxable income and repeal the Student Loan Interest Deduction
October 24-25, 2017
- SBFA joined AAUP recruitment expert Jason Elias to conduct its first FA-AAUP recruitment drive in years. Elias coached us to listen to our colleagues’ concerns rather than rattling off talking points. Two days of office visits resulted in around 15 new memberships.
February 9, 2017
- Scholars At Risk: Global Challenges to Academic Freedom
- EVENT FLIER
- Facebook page and for more information on our panelists from UCLA, and UCSB.